- Who just became one of only two living composers, and the only one not associated with classical music, to have his portrait on the walls of Steinway Hall?
- A music legend is having his hip repaired
- Hope you're sitting down for this one......it would appear that Michael Jackson's children are (GASP!) normal.
- Who's being featured on postage stamps in New Zealand?
As American As Pie
This week in 1971, a landmark song which is still a staple of Oldies and "classic hits" radio stations across the United States began its climb up the Billboard Hot 100. It would eventually hit #1 in January 1972 and stay there 4 weeks.
Don McLean's classic "American Pie" has been dissected ad nauseum by music lovers, historians, and musicologists alike, but McLean himself has gone the route of Carly Simon's elusiveness about the subject of "You're So Vain" when discussing the song. He has never publicly given his own take on the song's numerous lyrics and references.
With that in mind, we at Golden Hits Radio will give you what we call our "American Pie Primer", a collection of links and websites devoted to taking their best shot at defining the song and its myriad references so you can draw your own conclusions.
- Understanding American Pie - a verse-by-verse breakdown of the song's lyrics, along with an encyclopedic summation of the events to which the song refers, by Jim Fann
- Songfacts.com - A comprehensive, user-contributed page devoted to the song
- An "American Pie" Lyrical Interpretation Page by Jim Kalman - An individual's take on the song and its meaning
- American Pie - An Interpretation - A British music lover's best shot at interpreting the lyrics
While you're determining the real meaning of the song, take a look and listen and sing along......
Golden Hits Radio's Burning Question of the DayWhich 60's teen idol took an acting turn today in 1963 on an episode of ABC's Burke's Law? Come back to Everything Oldies tomorrow to find the answer, and leave a Comment below with your best guess! Yesterday's Burning Question (and Answer) of the Day Which rock and roll TV special was filmed today in 1968........but never seen until 1996? Answer: The Rolling Stones' "Rock and Roll Circus"