Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Story Behind The Music

Don't know what took me so long...but tonight I finally got around to watching The Buddy Holly Story.  Movies like that help you to appreciate the great artists and their music and it was particularly eye opening to me because Holly's music was really before my time.

I have often heard how he is considered one of the pioneers of rock and roll and now I can see more clearly why he is held in such high esteem.  Remarkably his career lasted on 1 1/2 years.  He truly was an extraordinary talent as a vocalist, record producer, song writer, and band leader.

If there is a lesson to be learned from his life it is that he was successful because he remained true to himself.  He didn't let the recording industry change him....he changed the industry. 

If you haven't seen the movie....you might want to check it out.  Good stuff, especially if you're a fan of oldies.  His legendary status is well deserved.

Now...don't be surprised if you hear an extra Buddy Holly tune slipped into rotation on GHR.

No comments:

Post a Comment