- The Occupy movement has spawned an album.....and some of your favorite Oldies artists are involved
- No sooner does the Queen of Soul get engaged than........
- 40 years after Jim Morrison's death, The Doors are still packin' 'em in
- A 70's icon has a new album on the way, and he calls it the most "honest" work he's ever done
- Plans for Etta James's funeral have been announced
Etta James (1938-2012)
Golden Hits Radio would like to pay tribute to one of music's all-time greats, Etta James, upon her passing Friday (Jan. 20, 2012) just five days shy of what would have been her 75th birthday. While she never achieved the pop chart success of her 50's and 60's era peers (her biggest chart hit, 1967's "Tell Mama", peaked at #23), her career would endure long past that of many of the era's biggest hitmakers. Her distinguished resume includes six Grammy Awards (including a 2003 Lifetime Achievement Award), induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1993, a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2003, two songs in the Grammy Hall of Fame, including her signature song, "At Last".
Here is a clip of her final TV appearance on a 2009 episode of Dancing With The Stars.......
In 1986, she appeared in the Chuck Berry documentary Hail! Hail! Rock N' Roll! alongside her former Chess Records labelmate.......
Here is a clip of Beyonce performing Etta's classic "I'd Rather Go Blind"........
FRIDAY'S WHAT'S IN A NAME ANSWERS
1) Patricia Louise Holte-Jones Patti Labelle
2) Robert Louis Ridarelli Bobby Rydell
3) Ernest Evans Chubby Checker
Golden Hits Radio's Burning Question of the Day
Today in 1967, Jefferson Airplane members Paul Kantner and Grace Slick had a baby girl. While she was later given the name China, what did they originally name her?
Come back to Everything Oldies tomorrow to find the answer, and leave a Comment below with your best guess!
Yesterday's Burning Question (and Answer) of the Day
Which rock and roll pioneer made his debut on the Grand Ole Opry January 20, 1973?
Answer: Jerry Lee Lewis